TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gwb21471

gateway M275 with windows xp table editon help.

I looking for a free  antivirus program for windows xp table edtion that doesn't take up a lot of memory. I have BitDefender free edtion on there now and it take a lot of my memory. The hard drive light keeps going nonstop. You can't do nothing with it because of all the memory is being used up. I have 1gb of memory in it with a 30gb hard drive and the cpu is fix to the motherboard running at 1.4ghz. My cpu is all ways running between 30% and 80% . I don't know if i buy more memory if it will fix it or if i get a bigger hard drive.  Thank you for the help.

1GB RAM should be plenty for XP any edition, you might want to turn off search indexer from services, that might be constantly scanning the drive indexing files

Not sure which AVs to suggest for tablet edition, I normally install Avast Free on peoples machines I'm repairing though, good AV and you can uncheck loads of bloat during the install and leave just the web, mail and core AV

ok. How do i turn off the indexer service? I left the laptop on all night and the hard drive ran all night long but when i got up this morning the hard drive wasn't running as bad as it was last night. Now the hard drive light is blinking and not just staying on. I had Avast Free on this laptop but took it off and put BitDefender free edtion on it. Well thank you for the help.

Couple of methods here

http://lifehacker.com/031440/turn-off-indexing-and-speed-up-windows-xp

You might want to install malwarebytes and scan for any malware too,

Check if your RAM is all being used in task manager too, if it is, that will be one of the reasons for the HDD activity, as it need to use the HDD as virtual memory when physical memory runs out, check what is using it

Avast free has a boot time scan you can run too, that can kill malware outside of windows before it loads up, very effective

Make sure you 100% remove any other AVs before installing a new one, more than one causes problems - and you only need an AV, not an internet security / firewall suite, windows firewall is plenty along with Avast

Thank you. I stop the search indexer service. The hard drive light stop blinking nonstop now. I going to download Avast free for it since BitDefender free edtion takes up all most 550mb of my memory. thanks again for the help.