TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Symb!0t!c

Folding@Home Basics

Welcome to the Folding@Home teams forum. Here we will discuss how to set up and become part of the team.

First:

What is F@H(Folding@Home)?

Well here's how it's defined at Wikipedia:

Accurate simulations of protein folding and misfolding enable the scientific community to better understand the development of many diseases, including Alzheimer's disease, BSE (mad cow disease), cancer, Huntington's Disease, cystic fibrosis and other aggregation related diseases. So far, the Folding@home project has successfully simulated folding in the 5-10 microsecond range—a time scale thousands of times larger than was previously thought possible.

Many scientific research papers have been published using the project's work. [1]

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign report on October 22, 2002 states that their distributed simulations of protein folding are demonstrably accurate.

But to me, F@H is helping people cure deadly diseases that affect all people of the World these days.

Here's how it works:

Folding@home does not rely on powerful supercomputers for its data processing; instead, the primary contributors to the Folding@home project are many thousands of personal computer users who have installed a small client program. The client runs in the background, and makes use of the CPU when it is not busy. In most modern personal computers, the CPU is rarely used to its full capacity at all times; the Folding@home client takes advantage of this unused processing power.

The Folding@home client periodically connects to a server to retrieve "work units," which are packets of data upon which to perform calculations. Each completed work unit is then sent back to the server. As data integrity is a major concern for all distributed computing projects, all work units are validated through the use of a 2048 bit digital signature.

The Folding@home client utilizes modified versions of four molecular simulation programs for calculation: Tinker, Gromacs, AMBER, and QMD.

Contributors to Folding@home may have user names used to keep track of their contributions. Each user may be running the client on one or more CPUs; for example, a user with two computers could run the client on both of them. Users may also contribute under one or more team names; many different users may join together to form a team. Contributors are assigned a score indicating the number and difficulty of completed work units. Rankings and other statistics are posted to the Folding@home website.

Here is how to start up:

Now for the good part. To start up, first go here and download the program that fits your Operating System. You can pick the text only version if you have a slower computer, or the GUI version if you think your up for it. Once you've saved that on your desktop or wherever, run it. It will start installing just basically read the terms of services and then click next until you enter your username in. Then click next and finish once you get there. After that, a configuration windows will pop up. Make sure you have the username you want in there. Then for the 'Team number:' enter this number which is unique to TheHotFix F@H: 51285. Then go through all the tabs in the config box and make sure everything is how you want it. You can adjust how much cpu it uses, turn on the screen saver mode so that after x minutes, it will become a screen saver and make it so that it only runs on screen saver mode or if you have a laptop only runs when your plugged into the wall. Then click ok and if prompted from a firewall, click allow access in future. You will then see a coq in the task bar. Double click it and the GUI will pop up and you can watch it go. It will show you the protein your working on at the time. Now your folding!!! Good job. I hope this was helpful to everyone. If you need anything regarding this PM me.

Jons<Out>

P.S. Here is our Folding@Home page:

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py...p;teamnum=51285

You know what...I think mine computer is not up to the Graphical one..But i still chose it...Lol!! I tried it with this computer: HT-Enabled 3.06 GHZ 512MB ram 7200RPM harddisk. It has been about 2mins already...But it is still on Waiting for Core: Step 21