TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
atrapine

Folding@Home Team

Edit by Admin: Here is thehotfix.net team site for this!

Just wondering what peoples opinion would be about Getting a Folding@home Team going For the Hotfix? Lots of other Forums i have either been apart of or am apart of have got a folding@home Team going. And it seems to Get more forum members Active in the forum its self.?

For the people who havent seen folding@home you can read about it here.

http://folding.stanford.edu/ = Protein Research

Or alternativly There is Seti@home

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ = Extraterrestrial Intelligence

http://www.thehotfix.net/forums_backup/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsupft3.gif

Someone please set this up.

One of the Admins... can you post this somewhere on the forum other than in here? Now that it's set up, I'd like to close this out.

Signed Up

What is an Folding@Home Team?

Off-Topic

What is an Folding@Home Team?
Read the first few posts and it'll lead you to a link where you can find out what it is or just wait for Jon.

Folding@Home is a program that uses parts of your computer to help find cures for widely-known diseases including Alzheimer's disease, BSE (mad cow disease), cancer, Huntington's Disease, cystic fibrosis and other aggregation related diseases.

From what I know, the basics of it are. They have a program that tests different proteins and building proteins to test to help cure these diseases. This way they can use your computer to help go through different proteins and test which have any affect at all. Jons<Out>

Damn! and damn straight it will! Does this mean your joining the team 999? If so awesome.

Jons<Out>

I probably will, but I use my computer alot. I hope I get a Core 2 Duo soon. :D

Does any body know how much bandwidth this uses

I know it does not use a lot. In fact, it uses more of the system resources than the bandwith.

I have a Duo Core system and a Ht computer. I think i can help. Anyway, is there any prize or anything like that, when you help them?? lol!!

Pardon this old man...But how to sign-up?? i can't find any button!! Damn!! No wonder they call it 'generation gap'.

How do I sign-up? (And I'm way younger than Review Guru :P ) If you have strong really strong computers, try running it on a Virtual PC, and your physical computer. <-- I don't know if that works though.

How do I sign-up? (And I'm way younger than Review Guru :P )

If you have strong really strong computers, try running it on a Virtual PC, and your physical computer. <-- I don't know if that works though.

I figured it out. You gotta need to install and download the application first. Then, install it. And they will ask for a username. Create your own. Then...I am still on the configuration...Sorry!! Hell, it is slow!! 2.25mins already!! But, it is still at Waiting for core: Step 35.

Off-Topic
Can someone tell me if i should use the mac or windows for mine 2nd computer. I am using a mac, and can bootcamp. (Yea, it is the duo-core one). So, should i run it on Mac or Windows?? Is there any difference??

Okay...I figured it!! You can enter the team name, when you right-click on the system tray (For graphical mode) and a pop-up will come out. And edit your team name. It should be 51285

P.S: A tip: Open that box as the main box. It will work much faster. By hiding it behind, it slows down itself by a lot!!

Mk Bobby, 512 is enough, and you 2 up there lol, read my pinned post. It walks ya through how to start. You download your matching one, if you use xp download the xp one, run the exe, enter your username, then when its done start it, and it will have your name and then an entry for a team number and enter this number: 51285 then click ok your set. In the main post in the homepage for our folding stats. Jons<Out>

Right click the cog in your taskbar and click 'pause work'. Then go to right clicking the cog, configure, advanced, set core priority to 50%. Jons<Out>

Come on people, let's get this running on your computers! This is for a great cause, it would be nice to see all the people we have in here starting to donate their free cpu cycles to researching cures for some of our most terrible diseases. Thanks to anyone that has already downloaded this and has it running, every cpu helps, no matter how fast!