TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

70 Virus' on my desktop and Avast sees none

I just downloaded an AV test RAR file with 1642 Virus' included

I unrar'd it, and Avast immediately removed 1572 of them and left me with a folder open to the elements, on my desktop, with 70 Virus' left in it ! Come on Avast !! WTF !

I uploaded them to VirusTotal, and at least 1 of the AV's on there, mostly all of them, picked up a Virus each time

Thats not good, how many virus' could I be infected with that Avast cant see ?

captureoi.png

Edited by Dave

Do you have any other computers in the house that have different AV software installed such as AVG or MSE? If you do, why don't you try testing the virus files with them? If other AV software doesn't see them as viruses, the virus writer must be very crafty. :shiftyninja:

Does Virus Total list them as actually infected or only detected by heuristics? heuristics just means the files "might" be infected.

It was naming the Virus' real name in red after the Name of the Scanner, Cant remember much else and I deleted them now

lol Not posting links to virus' sorry - you will have to use good old google

lol use mse

hmm im sure Phenom II has more than 3 AV softwares installed on his computer,this is just Avast problem :lol:

Edited by April

who is phenom ii

dave?

not a good idea to have more then 1 running

Edited by Scott

hmm im sure Phenom II has more than 3 AV softwares installed on his computer,this is just Avast problem :lol:

:lol:Who's This Phenom II guy ? :lol:

I only have Avast running on here, but I am thinking about changing to something else and testing with my 1642 virus' again lol

Makes you wonder why the AV companies don't download these same virus packs and add them to their database.. Isn't that what they get paid to do all day?

But I strongly believe that some viruses and exploits out there are being used by government agencies to break into suspects computers, and the anti-virus makers probably aren't allowed to add those to their virus signatures.

"The FBI has been known to use PC-spying technology since at least 1999, when a court ruled the bureau could break into reputed mobster Nicodemo Scarfo's office to plant a covert keystroke logger on his computer. But it wasn't until 2001 that the FBI's plans to use hacker-style computer-intrusion techniques emerged in a report by MSNBC.com. The report described an FBI program called "Magic Lantern" that uses deceptive e-mail attachments and operating-system vulnerabilities to infiltrate a target system. The FBI later confirmed the program, and called it a "workbench project" that had not been deployed."

Read More http://www.wired.com...l#ixzz0ibmkDGnC

Edited by MikeXD

Makes you wonder why the AV companies don't download these same virus packs and add them to their database.. Isn't that what they get paid to do all day?

But I strongly believe that some viruses and exploits out there are being used by government agencies to break into suspects computers, and the anti-virus makers probably aren't allowed to add those to their virus signatures.

"The FBI has been known to use PC-spying technology since at least 1999, when a court ruled the bureau could break into reputed mobster Nicodemo Scarfo's office to plant a covert keystroke logger on his computer. But it wasn't until 2001 that the FBI's plans to use hacker-style computer-intrusion techniques emerged in a report by MSNBC.com. The report described an FBI program called "Magic Lantern" that uses deceptive e-mail attachments and operating-system vulnerabilities to infiltrate a target system. The FBI later confirmed the program, and called it a "workbench project" that had not been deployed."

Read More http://www.wired.com...l#ixzz0ibmkDGnC

very interesting fact, i never imagined that government is using viruses.....:mellow:

I'm not saying that all the 70 undetected viruses that Dave has are policeware, but a few might be. Some of the major AV companies including Symantec have admitted to white-listing FBI viruses to ensure they will go undetected even by the heuristics. No-one really knows how many of these spywares are being deployed by the various governments around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Lantern_(software)#Antivirus_Vendor_Cooperation