TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Franpa

Good free "Rootkit" scanner.

From what I understand about rootkits, they hide themselves at the lowest level so that anything running on top the operating system absolutely cannot see them. If i suspected I had a rootkit on my system, I would immediately wipe the drive and reinstall Windows.

If for any reason reformatting wasn't an option, I would run anti-virus/anti-rookit software from a live BartPE or Linux CD, as theoretically, nothing you run from inside of the infected Windows installation would be able to detect it.

Now going against my own recommendation, Sophos is a well respected AV company that offers a free Anti-Rootkit tool that runs on top of Windows, which they claim is effective Sophos Website

I would be more inclined to consider getting a licence for the bootable disc version of Avast. Anything that runs outside of Windows is better.

Hope this helps, Mike

My bad, I am after a x64 Rootkit scanner, the 32bit ones I've tried seem to randomly crash at some point or simply prompt me that they don't work on x64.

Edited by Franpa

The Sophos Anti-Rootkit works well under x64 i just test it on my own machine. But like I said in my previous post, I very much doubt any program running on top of Windows will effectively catch rootkits. They hide so deep into the kernel that even Windows itself is unaware that the file exists, let alone the application running on top of it.