TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Apocalypse

Top 10 Malware which infect Windows computers

Microsoft has released a list of top 10 malware which infected Windows computers in Aug 2009. This list is based on the data based on the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

35lrak9.png

The following table shows the breakdown by country/region. US, China, and Brazil report the highest numbers of infected machines during the same time frame as the previous table.

2vj99wl.png

The US is at the top of this list as it is by default the top target for most of the malicious code out there. China and Brazil are actually a totally different story. While China is a top target for online games password stealers and the black market associated with it, Brazil is a prime goal for another breed of password stealers: those targeting bank accounts. Given these locations, it should come as no surprise that the top prevalent threats are what they are.

As you look at this table you will see that the number of unique machines infected is lower than the total number of disinfections by MSRT. There are several reasons for this including infections of multiple malware families on the same machine, multiple variants of the same family of malware found on the same machine and re-infections of the same machine over time. MSRT is not a replacement for antivirus software with real-time protection from a known, trusted vendor.

For more information please visit Microsoft Malware Protection Center

Has anyone ever been notified of a thread from the Malicious Software Removal Tool? I've added it to all the windows updates but never heard from it or even know if it is scanning my system.

Has anyone ever been notified of a thread from the Malicious Software Removal Tool? I've added it to all the windows updates but never heard from it or even know if it is scanning my system.

same here, it downloads on each updates ..but never says if i'm infected or not

Just type "mrt.exe" into the run command (Without quotes)

capturebt.jpg

Edited by Dave

I know the term statistics - damn statistics; but surely the UK is right up there in terms of population head vs attacks, especially compared to China and the US? And even more worrying when China is heavily firewalled by their government?

From what I experience, 9 out of 10 people I know panic when there is a pop up box, regardless if it's a firewall block, or a virus install, and click OK or cancel regardless. They just don't read the message or understand what it means.

The younger generation seems as bad as the oldies that are new to the technology, as young 'uns click and install anything, the old 'uns don't understand the message. It's left to us 30 somethings that grew up with Prestel, maybe teletype, programming a Spectrum or BBC computer, to sort out the mess? Because we knew the age before 'malware'

I 'fixed' a compy today, where the owner panicked, because there was a box that said install WGA...he thought if he clicked OK, the Feds would be round lol..genuine version of windows, installed OK.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, there is some type of computer test on the BBC website, to assess how certain people access the internet and what influence it has. Dave is familiar with the TV program referenced. Only caught the back end of it tonight, seemed Facebook influenced.

the MSRT performs a quick scan silently when you install the update. It will not display results unless a known threat is found.

As Dave said, you can always force a scan by typing "mrt" in the run box.

If you watch your hard drive LED carefully, you will see continuous HDD activity while that update is being installed. That's because it is scanning system areas for known malware.

Edited by MikeXD

I know the term statistics - damn statistics; but surely the UK is right up there in terms of population head vs attacks, especially compared to China and the US? And even more worrying when China is heavily firewalled by their government?

From what I experience, 9 out of 10 people I know panic when there is a pop up box, regardless if it's a firewall block, or a virus install, and click OK or cancel regardless. They just don't read the message or understand what it means.

The younger generation seems as bad as the oldies that are new to the technology, as young 'uns click and install anything, the old 'uns don't understand the message. It's left to us 30 somethings that grew up with Prestel, maybe teletype, programming a Spectrum or BBC computer, to sort out the mess? Because we knew the age before 'malware'

I 'fixed' a compy today, where the owner panicked, because there was a box that said install WGA...he thought if he clicked OK, the Feds would be round lol..genuine version of windows, installed OK.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, there is some type of computer test on the BBC website, to assess how certain people access the internet and what influence it has. Dave is familiar with the TV program referenced. Only caught the back end of it tonight, seemed Facebook influenced.

Ah I missed it !

Hey thanks, I`ll have to wait till my broadband is on to watch it, Im currently trying to stretch 3GB dongle data out for a few days until my kit arrives from orange, should be any day now :)

I`ll save the link, thanks