TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
momcat1

SP3 and AMD processors

I had read earlier on that applying SP3 to a system with an AMD processor created all sorts of serious problems. Does anyone know if MS ever resolved this? I have SP3 on my laptop which has an Intel processor, but I told my husband that until I could clear it, he should not apply it to his machine, which has an AMD. TIA

Ive had SP3 on my AMD loads of times for long periods of time too with no problems at all

Edited by Dave26

I had problems installing a clean install of SP3 onto an AMD 64 Athlon 3200+ with an older nforce chipset. The operating system would restart occasionally and my processor was not recognised correctly in device manager. I went back to SP2 and it was fine. My other PC on the other hand has a AMD 64 X2 6000+ and a nforce chipset and I have no problems at all with SP3. The problem only affected a small number of amd boards, so I would not be so worried about installing it.

I had read earlier on that applying SP3 to a system with an AMD processor created all sorts of serious problems.

Does anyone know if MS ever resolved this?

I have SP3 on my laptop which has an Intel processor, but I told my husband that until I could clear it, he should not apply it to his machine, which has an AMD.

TIA

As I recall, the SP3 AMD issue regards certain OEM install images that include the processor driver for both Intel and AMD cpus; like Dell and HP or something. I run SP3 on 3 Athlon 64 and 2 AthlonXP machines with no problem (none OEM).

Let's see...yes, from:

support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/en-us

"This problem occurs when a System Preparation (Sysprep) image is created on a computer that uses an Intel processor and is then deployed to a computer that does not use an Intel processor."

See the kb link for more info and resolution.

I'm running SP3 on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ with no problem

Hi momcat1, There is a known issue with non Intel Processors and SP3 it only really affects certain PCs that have been pre-installed with XP SP2 before leaving the factory. Get yourself along to microsofts website and search for the update below install that then install SP3 as normall. "Not sure what this forums linking policy is so i wont i'll just guide you in the right direction" WindowsXP-KB953356-x86-ENU.exe Basically what happens if you dont install the above... The PC may get caught in a continous reboot Loop due to power management issues between Intel and AMD dual core processor drivers. Just in case you have tried the update and have encountered problems here is how to get a second chance... All that you would have to do if the PC was stuck in the Loop would be to start the PC in safe mode by tapping F8 on startup and uninstall SP3 then Install the above update etc...

Using an AMD Mobile Sempron 3500+ with absolutely no problems, in fact I upgraded from Home to professional with a Slipstreamed disk made on an intel machine. I think that it may be specific to some of the older CPUs or AMD motherboards that have Phoenix or Award Bios. Other bios have no problems which is odd because the two i mentioned are the most common. EDIT: Noticed some oddities in my post that appeared after I submitted it. Forum bug? E.G: "an AMD" became "a and AMD"

Edited by AntidoteCRK

Ok, sounds from all of the above posts that since this PC is one I built from sctrach, there should not be a problem. Trying to remember now what m-board I used. i think it was an Asus A7S333, the processor is one of the early AMD XP series, maybe the 1600. It's been a while.

There is the patch, which needs to be applied BEFORE you install SP3. There is also an explanation from microsoft here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953356

More important, there are fixes outlined that don't involve uninstalling sp3 (which sounds rather messy) if you have an AMD box that already has had SP3 installed and then, well, stalled. I just walked a customer through this one:

1. Restart your computer in safe mode. For more information about safe mode in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 315222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/ ) A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. Locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm

4. In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.

5. In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.

6. Exit Registry Editor.

7. Restart your computer.

Worked fine.

AMD K8 Processor Driver nlite addon

Build Date: 6/25/2008

Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination to match the instantaneous user performance need. This package is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD processors on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 x86 and x64 Editions.