TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Parabola

SP3 Validation - Why does this happen?

I work in a PC repair shop, so I install XP just about everday. We are NOT currently installing sp3, as it is known to cause issues, especially with a fresh install of sp2. My main concern however is that customers take their PCs home, update windows and get SP3, and next thing they're calling us, asking why their windows says it is not genuine. I'd really like a good answer for them, and also if there is some way to prevent it. If not a prevention, then at least an easy fix for them. I really love the people however who wait until windows has locked them out to call us.... that's fun to try and fix without reinstalling windows... it almost never works. If you have an idea for that as well, it would be nice :) thanks, let me know Justin

For in the future, you can slipstream SP3 with Nlite, that should do the trick, i think :mhm:

That's what we have right now with SP2 for our install discs, not to mention the ever handy unattended version that installs windows xp and only stops to ask for the product key, then does everything else on its own.... love that disc lol

But I will keep that in mind for whenever we do finally decide to start installing sp3...

If I remember right, after installing SP1 for Vista did we not have to re-activate windows too ?

I know after a significant hardware upgrade/change Vista will de-activate.. could this be the same with SP3 ?

Saying that.. I have never had a problem with activation after installing SP3..

I just upgraded someone from XP SP1 to SP3 but I waited until after the upgrade to activate.. maybe you should leave the activation part to the customers, advising to activate after SP3 is installed to prevent this problem

If I remember right, after installing SP1 for Vista did we not have to re-activate windows too ?

I know after a significant hardware upgrade/change Vista will de-activate.. could this be the same with SP3 ?

I just upgraded someone from XP SP1 to SP3 but I waited until after the upgrade to activate.. maybe you should leave the activation part to the customers, advising to activate after SP3 is installed to prevent this problem

Well the way we are doing things at the moment is we update to SP2, with full updates to that. In order to do those updates, windows MUST be activated. We also tell customers not to install SP3 yet, but they do it anyways, then wait 30 days until their PC is locked out, then bring it to us and say "You didn't fix it". Fun stuff..... lol I also love the ones like one I have in the shop right now. Guy waited 29 days to bring me his PC, telling me it needed "activation or something". One quick look at it.... guy hadn't even tried to activate it on his own. All I did was hit activate and no problem.... makes me wonder about the laziness of people today....

Vista picks up quick on the slightest hardware change.

It quickly noticed a graphics card change and let me go for a day or so then told me it was reactivating my system.

I have used the same graphics card since and reactivated twice without a problem.

Vista is a lot better than XP with activation.

I think maybe M$ is trying to piss off people so much they move onto Vista.

I always work in this order... Install XP Update to Service Pack 3 Install Motherboard Chipset Drivers Install all other required drivers activate Windows XP and... it all worked fine, I have a offical Windows XP v2002 disc that already had SP2 slipstreamed.