TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Farquard

Cannot uninstall SP3 b5508

My niece installed SP3 build 5508 onto her computer at school (against my advice, may I add) and now has found that she cannot remove it to install the actual upgrade.

She says that when using the remove software results in an error message that a component cannot be found; and the uninstall aborts.

I am at a loss at the moment on what to advise her to do next. That being her only computer which she needs for school, she cannot just wipe the hard drive and start over again.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Not sure if you can do this but installing it again might replace the file needed to uninstall it ?

I called her this morning to do just that. I just fear, that she will screw it up even more Posted Image

Edited by Farquard

It almost sounds like some of the backup that 5508 made when it got installed got lost or corrupted. Without all of the backup pieces, SP3 (Either RTM or the RC versions) won't let you uninstall it, because the original files wouldn't be there to replace what is missing. In other words, "Houston, we might have a problem."

Unfortunately, she's up the creek without a paddle on this one & at best, an XP repair install is her one & only option ... :( Edited by Sabertooth

Unfortunately, she's up the creek without a paddle on this one & at best, an XP repair install is her one & only option ... :(

Thanks, I am sure that is her only recourse. I do know she has her original reinstall disk that was shipped with the computer. I will call her in the morning, and tell her the good(?) news.

Again, thank you very much.

My niece installed SP3 build 5508 onto her computer at school (against my advice, may I add) and now has found that she cannot remove it to install the actual upgrade.

She says that when using the remove software results in an error message that a component cannot be found; and the uninstall aborts.

I am at a loss at the moment on what to advise her to do next. That being her only computer which she needs for school, she cannot just wipe the hard drive and start over again.

Any suggestions or solutions?

I Had the same problem. Just us Windows Restore to roll the computer back to an earlier date. Roll it to the day befofe the install. It uninstalled SP3 with no problems.