TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Mrlopez

Did the XP SP3 update include Vista-like security tab?

Hi all, I remember installing one of the beta SP3 updates to XP Professional and I saw a security tab when I right-clicked on a drive or folder and choose "Properties" similar to how it works in Vista. You could also access the Vista-like security features when you share a drive or folder on a network. I was able to share a drive or folder and create a new group like "Everyone" and give it full control. Now that I have the RTM SP3 that feature is gone, was I smoking something or did it get removed?

That feature has been on XP since always, to enable it open my computer and then to the tools menu and then in options, there click on the tab view and scroll down till you find an option that says use simple file sharing (recomended) or something along those lines, it is the last option on the view tab there and unmark it and click on apply, then close the folder options window and right click on a folder or drive and then on properties, you will see the security tab again there:

Posted Image

Note: My Windows XP is in spanish since I live on México and spanish is my first language so that's why my screenshot is with the security tab in spanish

Edited by DBGARZA

That feature has been on XP since always, to enable it open my computer and then to the tools menu and then in options, there click on the tab view and scroll down till you find an option that says use simple file sharing (recommended) or something along those lines, it is the last option on the view tab there and unmark it and click on apply, then close the folder options window and right click on a folder or drive and then on properties, you will see the security tab again there:

Posted Image

Note: My Windows XP is in spanish since I live on México and spanish is my first language so that's why my screenshot is with the security tab in spanish

I found it and everything is ok now. Thanks!

Now I want to know how to tell if my Version is SP3. I can always use the winver command or right-click My Computer and choose "Properties" but are there any changes to the control panel or any security options.

Edited by Mrlopez

I found it and everything is ok now. Thanks!

Now I want to know how to tell if my Version is SP3. I can always use the winver command or right-click My Computer and choose "Properties" but are there any changes to the control panel or any security options.

I noticed a change on the msconfig application, after the startup tab there is a new tab that says tools, from there you can run several tools like the about windows box (aka right click on my computer and then properties), the registry editor, the task manager, the internet protocol configuration, and many others, pretty useful when you're working with this application and need to use some extra tools, instead of running those tools manually they're at your reach with a couple of clicks.

Posted Image

Here is a screenshot of the msconfig app, now with the brand new tools tab.

Also I noticed some speed up on windows with the SP3 installed, I still need to dig deeper to see what else they added.

I noticed a change on the msconfig application, after the startup tab there is a new tab that says tools, from there you can run several tools like the about windows box (aka right click on my computer and then properties), the registry editor, the task manager, the internet protocol configuration, and many others, pretty useful when you're working with this application and need to use some extra tools, instead of running those tools manually they're at your reach with a couple of clicks.

Posted Image

Here is a screenshot of the msconfig app, now with the brand new tools tab.

Also I noticed some speed up on windows with the SP3 installed, I still need to dig deeper to see what else they added.

Thanks for the info.