TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sam13484

Sp3 and Audio Drivers

I have two computers and I've seen the same thing happen on both of them. First I do a clean install of Windows XP. Once the desktop comes up on first boot, I install SP3 3205. Reboot and back to the desktop. Then I start installing my drivers, in this order: chipset video monitor network audio modem The audio drivers refuse to install under SP3 3205. If I install the audio drivers first and then SP3, there are no problems. The drivers for the first machine are for onboard Realtek. The drivers for the second machine are for onboard Sigmatel. Can anyone tell me why these audio drivers will not install? Everything else installs fine. I'm really stumped with this. By the way, in both cases, the audio drivers are the most current ones available. Thanks.

wad audiodrivers do you use?

That actually happened to me yesterday on a fresh Windows install, and I had done the same thing you had done (installing SP3 as soon as I had booted up to the desktop the first time). I had to go in and uninstall SP3 then install the audio drivers, and then REINSTALL SP3, and now everything works perfectly. I know it may not be the most technical solution, but it worked for me yesterday and I have Realtek audio on that particular system.

On one of my computers I use Realtek drivers, and I always installed my audio before my modem, without any past problems. However, I took the most recent audio driver pack from Realtek (1.79), opened it up and took a look through all the folders. There was one folder located at "MSHDQFE\Win2k_XP\us" that contained 3 different copies of the MS hotfix KB888111. There was kb888111w2ksp4, kb888111xpsp1, and kb888111xpsp2. The was no similar hotfix for SP3. So, it got me thinking that Realtek just hasn't released a driver pack that will install under SP3. Maybe I'm just going to have to be a little patient until SP3 comes out of the Beta. I sent an email to the technical section of Realtek, but it would be a surprise if they sent back a message to me personally. Thanks for the replies to my original post. sam13484

Edited by sam13484

However, I took the most recent audio driver pack from Realtek (1.79), opened it up and took a look through all the folders. There was one folder located at "MSHDQFE\Win2k_XP\us" that contained 3 different copies of the MS hotfix KB888111. There was kb888111w2ksp4, kb888111xpsp1, and kb888111xpsp2. The was no similar hotfix for SP3.

So, it got me thinking that Realtek just hasn't released a driver pack that will install under SP3. Maybe I'm just going to have to be a little patient until SP3 comes out of the Beta. I sent an email to the technical section of Realtek, but it would be a surprise if they sent back a message to me personally.

Thanks for the replies to my original post.

sam13484

SP3 will not need any special drivers. But it will check for the version of windows and might not install if it does not recognize SP3. Otherwise you may need to use an older version of the HD Audio Drivers KB835221. I haven't tried to install any new Realtek Audio Drivers since I installed SP3. I doubt Realtek will adjust the drivers until the final SP3 comes out. There is not even a public beta yet.

SP3 will not need any special drivers. But it will check for the version of windows and might not install if it does not recognize SP3. Otherwise you may need to use an older version of the HD Audio Drivers KB835221. I haven't tried to install any new Realtek Audio Drivers since I installed SP3. I doubt Realtek will adjust the drivers until the final SP3 comes out. There is not even a public beta yet.

I tried the UAA drivers for SP1, SP2 and a custom made one from HP, and none of them work. I believe that you are right when you say that there is no solution until the release of XP SP3.

If any body have problem of Audio drivers, Just remove SP3 and then install KB888111, Audio. then simply it will work. then later on u can again install Sp3.

I have two computers and I've seen the same thing happen on both of them.

First I do a clean install of Windows XP.

Once the desktop comes up on first boot, I install SP3 3205.

Reboot and back to the desktop.

Then I start installing my drivers, in this order:

chipset

video

monitor

network

audio

modem

The audio drivers refuse to install under SP3 3205.

If I install the audio drivers first and then SP3, there are no problems.

The drivers for the first machine are for onboard Realtek.

The drivers for the second machine are for onboard Sigmatel.

Can anyone tell me why these audio drivers will not install? Everything else installs fine. I'm really stumped with this.

By the way, in both cases, the audio drivers are the most current ones available.

Thanks.

Simply type 'regedit' into run

navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows"

double-click on "CSDVersion" and change the value to 200 which makes it think that it is service pack 2

Install Realtek driver

Change the key back to 300

All done

Enjoy