TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
romolo

Is Opera better?

I'va been using it for almost 2 years now and it is really a good browser. Out of the box, it has more features than most other browsers (Like a built-in torrent client, Speed Dial, etc), but there isn't a lot of plugins for it like there is for Firefox. I really recommend it to everyone, it's great :)

I use it infrequently & even though it does not stand shoulder to shoulder with an IE replacement like Firefox - it is a good browser nonetheless. My main gripe for a long time has been the refresh issue. If they can just fix that maybe I'll use it more than I currently do. I did like the "Speed Dial" feature that they now have in the browser sorta like the "Quick Tab" feature in IE7. Ironically I find myself using that feature when I do use Opera but hardly ever invoke the feature in IE which I would probably I use with almost the same frequency as Firefox.

I used to use opera to browse some wap site that didnt have IE support and i quite enjoyed it, but ill a loyal IE fan always have been always will be. none the less its a tidy little browser

Ive been using Opera for Almost 3 years now and its great. Everything ma has said is right. Also, it might not have enough "plugins" or as Opera calls them Widgets. But, thats because peopole in the Opera community dont release there widgets. WIDGETS are really easy to make. I've made a few widgets that display Live Weather and RSS and Live BF2 Stats. Does not mean I have release them. Widgets for Opera are so EASY to make.

On the other hand. Plugins for Firefox are HELL to make. I've tried that but I personally think its a pain in the ***.

Anyway, Yeah Opera is reliable and its great.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Sabertooth: What refresh problem? I see no refresh problem in Opera. Can you please clarify.

Cheers,

-Sikh.

Back in June 1998 I actually paid $35 for Opera 3.0 and even bought the EPOC version for my Psion Series 5mx. Since that day I've pretty much used it exclusivly as my main browser. I've customised my version over the years and have about 15 userscripts (equivilent to the FF extensions) as well as custom buttons etc. I don't use the widgets or the built in email client (Outlook does me just fine) and use the RSS reader for only 2 or three feeds, I mainly use sharpreader for feeds. I've got FF but hardly ever use it as I'm so used to Opera and can't really see any benefit in it.

in my opinion its the best browser there is, i used to be a firefox fan, but now i swear by opera, its seems faster , more secure and more customiseable :)

Same here Opera is a great browser and I VERY rarely use any other browser. Opera now has support for a lot more pages and it is faster and more secure than other browsers. I would also recommend it to anyone!!

i prefer firefox mainly because im used to it, i tried opera for a while liked it, but firefox just has my heart.

@Sabertooth: What refresh problem? I see no refresh problem in Opera. Can you please clarify.

Cheers,

-Sikh.

By default, pages I visit are not updated automatically, for example in this post I had to hit F5 in order to see the message posted after clicking "add reply". Now with just about every other browser I would not have to do that to see the newly added comment. The side effect of this is, a user can unintentionally spam a forum if they do not refresh the page since it can be easily assumed the posted message has not been saved on the first or subsequent attempts and the poster could try to repost the same message again and again - does that makes some sense?

I don't believe I have that problem in Opera. After I post my post appears instantly, just like IE and FF! Weird --EDIT-- Sure enough this post appeared instantly!

Edited by JBNexus

Opera is a great web browsers, but it can view all the websites like IE do. Thats why the only browser i use is IE7 in windows vista.

I use IE 7 & Opera 9.21 end i like very much :D

read the article end u will get a idea:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/IE7-vs-Firefox-2-0-vs-Opera-9-20-54537.shtml
Edited by faurdanut

By default, pages I visit are not updated automatically, for example in this post I had to hit F5 in order to see the message posted after clicking "add reply". Now with just about every other browser I would not have to do that to see the newly added comment. The side effect of this is, a user can unintentionally spam a forum if they do not refresh the page since it can be easily assumed the posted message has not been saved on the first or subsequent attempts and the poster could try to repost the same message again and again - does that makes some sense?

This is true. Opera does use pretty aggressive caching techniques. iirc it doesn't check for updated pages for something like 5 hours. This causes swebservers less load as most internet pages don't change that often.

You can be change how often Opera checks for page changes....

CTRL + F12

Advanced tab

History

At the bottom are options to change how ofter opera checks for updated pages.

I don't believe I have that problem in Opera. After I post my post appears instantly, just like IE and FF! Weird

--EDIT-- Sure enough this post appeared instantly!

I am not sure how or why your Opera installation does not exhibit this behavior while pretty much every version that I have ever installed (which by the way is like every version they have released) has had that anomaly. Maybe you have altered your settings from the default ones, eitherway this appears to be a known issue that's unique to Opera.

This is true. Opera does use pretty aggressive caching techniques. iirc it doesn't check for updated pages for something like 5 hours. This causes swebservers less load as most internet pages don't change that often.

You can be change how often Opera checks for page changes....

CTRL + F12

Advanced tab

History

At the bottom are options to change how ofter opera checks for updated pages.

This option also has its own side effect because it forces the page you are on to arbitrarily refresh & very likely at odd or inappropriate intervals..................:whistling2: