TheHotfix.net is closing! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Xterminater07

vista explorer.exe memory hog!

hey all... is it just me or vista's explorer.exe is a memory hog? My explorer.exe is sitting at about 92,000K which is 92MB if I'm correct? Is this common because of the dreamscene being installed, but not run and the sidebar???? Is there a way to make explorer.exe not be such memory hog? btw... i have 1gb of ram pc 3200 400mhz, and 1.5gb of usb flash memory :P

Edited by Xterminater07

I think it only peaks up there on first access. Otherwise I don't think it is a big threat to you ram.

That seems like an awfully high level for explorer.exe!

Download FreeRam XP Pro (works great in vista)!

http://yourwaresolutions.com/software.html

When installed right click the icon, click tools and globaly compress memory and it frees memory that programs aren't using anymore or don't need! See if that helps. I would also scan you PC for viruses.

Edited by nexus450

hey all... is it just me or vista's explorer.exe is a memory hog? My explorer.exe is sitting at about 92,000K which is 92MB if I'm correct? Is this common because of the dreamscene being installed, but not run and the sidebar????

Is there a way to make explorer.exe not be such memory hog?

btw... i have 1gb of ram pc 3200 400mhz, and 1.5gb of usb flash memory :P

actually sidebar does eat a lot of cpu...

hey all... is it just me or vista's explorer.exe is a memory hog? My explorer.exe is sitting at about 92,000K which is 92MB if I'm correct? Is this common because of the dreamscene being installed, but not run and the sidebar????

Is there a way to make explorer.exe not be such memory hog?

btw... i have 1gb of ram pc 3200 400mhz, and 1.5gb of usb flash memory :P

actually sidebar does eat a lot of cpu...

Dreamscene will use alot of the memory and processor. This is because, its playing a video at the back. An average normal computer (Not those expensive ones) will use 50% to 75% to play videos, even in background. So, if its on your desktop, presumingly, Microsoft compresses things up, improves performance, i'm expecting at least 30% of the processor used, and at least 40MB of ram used.

Neox comment is hidden between the two copy overs but is more significant. From the earlier Beta's, the first thing I did on reinstallations was disabled the sidebar. I can see from comments from new users that it is very much a source of interest. Mostly totally useless. Similar items to the so-called gadgets, could be installed in other, less resource hugging, places on you computer, the quick launch bar, for one example. All the dynamic gadgets(weather, CPU useage.etc.) are being constantly scanned and are, of course, using resources to do so. Do you really want to see the weather constantly, or the CPU useage - unless you are troubleshooting?

Regarding what Review Guru said about Dreamscene, I don't understand how so much memory and CPU can be used up when Dreamscene supposedly uses a lot of the power of your video card to render the video playing on your desktop. :blink2: