Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums
|Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of TheHotfix.net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
Updated: Kim dotcom is free on bail : Megaupload founder
Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:11 PM
Kim Dotcom spends his first full day out of custody in more than a month today after being granted bail.
Dotcom, the multimillionaire founder of file-sharing website Megaupload who faces charges in the United States of racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering, had been in custody since a police raid on his mansion north of Auckland on January 20.
He failed twice before Wednesday to be bailed after two judges ruled that he was a significant flight risk.
But Judge Nevin Dawson said in North Shore District Court on Wednesday that flight risk was not now of such concern, because all of Dotcom's assets and bank accounts have been seized and no new assets or bank accounts of any significance had been uncovered.
There is also some uncertainty about when an extradition hearing will occur.
"I am relieved to go home to see my family, my three little kids and my pregnant wife. I hope you understand that's all I want to say right now," said Dotcom, who will be bailed to a property next to the Dotcom mansion.
As part of the conditions of his electronically-monitored bail, Dotcom will not be able to access the internet.
The Crown has indicated it will appeal the bail decision.
Dotcom's three co-accused, Finn Batato, Mathias Ortmann and Bram van der Kolk, now face up to six months before a hearing to extradite them to the United States begins.
In a separate hearing, the court was told the US government has yet to file the necessary extradition papers.
They must be filed by March 5, in line with the extradition treaty with New Zealand.
The four accused have been remanded until August 20, the provisional start date for the extradition hearing, which could take three weeks.
if you would like me to post more of dot com ill be happy to just ask me and i will
Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:48 PM
Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:26 AM
and his wife is pregys
and he now pays rent on his own home that the FBI took away from them.
the nz law has even got him with foot thingy to show he is on the grounds of his small home.
he cant even step foot in front of a computer or even go eny where that has internet.
his big house has bean shut closed by FBI nobody is to go near it.
every site thay own has bean taken over by fbi and every account by users the fbi is looking into the users of those sites
about 20 sites have bean closed that he is part of by fbi ::REPORTED BY THE NEWS:: not me
Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom has been granted bail after a judge ruled he was not enough of a flight risk to keep in custody – but he is not allowed to use the internet.
Dotcom and three other men were arrested at Dotcom's $30 million rented mansion in Coatesville, Auckland, in a police raid on January 20.
They face charges in the US of racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering and are awaiting proceedings to extradite them to the US.
Dotcom has denied any wrongdoing.
The prosecution alleged that as "a wealthy man", Dotcom would have the resources to fund an escape from New Zealand. But District Court Judge Nevin Dawson disagreed, saying Dotcom had "every reason to stay" in New Zealand.
"The disposition that he is wealthy and must have more assets is not evidence," says Judge Dawson.
"It would seem that he has every reason to stay (in New Zealand) to be with his family and to fight to keep his significant assets."
Dotcom has been banned from using the internet or helicopters while on bail.
A date for the extradition hearing was expected to be set in the North Shore District Court today.
Dotcom, who is a German national and holds New Zealand residency, was the only accused who remained in custody in New Zealand following successful bail bids for his co-accused.
Dotcom was previously denied bail by Judge David McNaughton, who considered the internet millionaire a flight risk. Dotcom, who has a family here, said he had no intention of fleeing.
Another man has been arrested in the Netherlands, while two other suspects remain at large.
A new indictment, filed in a US court and released on Friday, adds eight additional charges of copyright infringement and wire fraud against Dotcom, six Megaupload employees and two related companies.
It is alleged the group, labelled by the FBI as the 'Mega Conspiracy', amassed $NZ216 million in criminal proceeds through the website.
Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:43 AM
Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom has denied any deliberate copyright infringement by his company and says he will prove his innocence.
The 38-year-old founder of the file-sharing website Megaupload is accused of criminal copyright infringements and racketeering, and United States authorities are seeking his extradition to put him on trial there.
He remains free on bail after the High Court in Auckland yesterday dismissed an application made by the Crown on behalf of the US Government for him to be returned to custody as a flight risk.
Dotcom told reporters when he was initially released on bail he wants to prove his innocence.
"I'm looking forward to fight these charges on a level playing field so indeed I'm very relieved," he said.
In an interview with the New Zealand Herald, Dotcom said the US Government could not win the case, although it would take years of fighting through courts to prove his innocence.
Following a request from the US Department of Justice, Dotcom and three other men were arrested in January after a police raid on a mansion he occupied north of Auckland.
The US authorities shut down Megaupload and froze hundreds of millions of dollars in assets.
Dotcom told the Herald the indictment used by the US Department of Justice to trigger the raid represented only a fraction of the real picture.
"For every email they have in the indictment, I have 100 others that disprove it," he told the newspaper.
Dotcom said the evidence that would clear him included email trails in which he had personally requested sites carrying links to infringing material to stop linking to Megaupload.
He said there was clear evidence he and his team had worked to stop copyright infringement.
The evidence stemmed from Megaupload's terms of service, which forced users to agree they would not post copyrighted material to the website.
Dotcom also said that his month at Auckland Central Remand Prison had prompted him to consider appealing to the Department of Corrections to review treatment of those who had yet to be convicted of any crime.
"The first night I didn't have a blanket, soap, toothpaste or toilet paper. They didn't provide us with the basic things," he told the Herald.
"Every two hours, they would wake me up. I was deprived of sleep. I wrote a complaint. I said, 'This is torture, this is sleep deprivation'."
Dotcom said back pain from a slipped disc had become extreme while on trips to and from the North Shore court for bail hearings in a prison van, and one prison trip had led to his being treated in the prison medical unit.
Back at the prison, he tumbled from the van to the ground, was put on a blanket and dragged to the health unit, he said.
The Crown, on behalf of the US Government, argued in the High Court yesterday that there was a very real risk Dotcom still had access to offshore funds that he could use to flee the country, and should be returned to jail. The court dismissed the application.
It also made an interim order which allows Dotcom's wife Mona, who is due to give birth soon, just over $30,000 to cover medical and living expenses for the next three weeks.
Dotcom and his wife were seeking to have $220,000 a month of their money unfrozen to cover living costs including security guards, nannies and a butler.
my POINT HE HAS MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users