Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums

Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of TheHotfix.net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Power Options (Windows 7)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Turcotte

Kevin Turcotte

Hardcore Nerd

• 233 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

I'm running Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bit). I'd like to modify the power settings, but not exactly sure how to do what I want. Ideally what I'd like to do is, when the UPS has kicked in for say 3 mins, make the computer goes to sleep, but make it so the mouse CANNOT wake it up. Short of that, is there anyway to make Windows shut right down after say 3 mins on the UPS? I know the UPS can do this as well, but the problem is, once it shuts the computer down, it also kills power to everything else connected to the UPS, and I still want them running off the battery.

#2 Phoenix

Phoenix

Owner of Phoenix Computer Systems

• Administrator
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:17 AM

You can do this IF your UPS has some software and a way to talk to your PC, as in via USB or something. We have a similar setup with our systems at work, our UPS sends a signal to sleep/shutdown particular servers in a certain order once the power goes out. It's capabale of doing this selectively so some of our servers shutdown, but our DC's and Switches stay up until the UPS is almost out of power.

Jamie

#3 Kevin Turcotte

Kevin Turcotte

Hardcore Nerd

• 233 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

It's an APC SUA1500, So I'm running PowerChute Business. From what APC has told me, once the UPS tells the computer to shut down, power connected to everything else connected to the UPS is also dropped. What I want (Either through the UPS itself or Windows) is, after 5 mins on the battery, for the computer to enter sleep mode (But make it so only the keyboard can bring it out of sleep, not the mouse), or shut the computer right down, but leave power to everything else connected to the UPS.

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

Owner of Phoenix Computer Systems

• Administrator
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

Well then I don't know why as ours does not work that way, ours are APC as well and we can set the unit to send a shutdown command to anything it has been linked to using the installed program (we have to install the proggie on any server we want to be able to talk to the UPS as the UPS has it's own network card and static IP) and we can tell it to send that command under certain conditions like once power has been cut for 5 mins send shutdown command to known servers. This then does this but we don't tell the UPS to then shut itself down and it can't and won't issue a shutdown command to anything not communicating to it. So basically that leaves equipment on that we want left on until the UPS gets down to like 5% battery and then shut's the actual UPS unit down killing power to anything left on. Most of our servers have dual power supply's as well so we run 1 straight off the mains and the second through the UPS, that way even if the UPS is shutting down and the power kicks back in during that then the server remains powered as the other PSU will just take over.

Was a ass to setup everything as APC's instructions and support are a bit naff but it's working spot on for the moment lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users