Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums

Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of TheHotfix.net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

installing a new cd drive.. a womans way!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 2008-chick

2008-chick

Forum Loyalist

• 56 posts
  • Interests: pc's at the moment, im learning a lot of new ways to do things.<br />but main interests my kids and my man

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

if i remove a cd drive fom a dell pc, can i replace it with any other cd drive and does it need drivers to install it once it is back in place??

this might be a stupid question but i dont want to do it if i cant re-install the drivers for it.

#2 Dave

Dave

Zero Tolerance

• Root Admin
  • 12527 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

you can put any cd drive in its place and windows should have the drivers for it no problems

#3 Allen

Allen

I'm AL??...

• VIP
  • 648 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

just before you buy a new one check and see if the old one is IDE or SATA.

#4 Dave

Dave

Zero Tolerance

• Root Admin
  • 12527 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

If its your neighbours PC it will be IDE and need to be replaced with an IDE drive, IDE is the long thin ribbon cable

#5 2008-chick

2008-chick

Forum Loyalist

• 56 posts
  • Interests: pc's at the moment, im learning a lot of new ways to do things.<br />but main interests my kids and my man

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

ok, i broke my pc doing this. i swapped over my spare cd drvie form my pc and it was the same fittings as the other one so now they have one that works. but their windows 2000 will not pick up that there is a cd drive in the computer.. but a disc spins when inserted.
This has really confused me. my pc woudlnt boot with the other cd drive plugged into it, so i realised i had to unplug it (eventually!)
whats happened hope u can help.
Also can i install xp on to a pc with a 110w processor? what other info do u guys need?

#6 Dave

Dave

Zero Tolerance

• Root Admin
  • 12527 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

msn me and ill help

You need to make sure the cd drives jumpers are set for the one on the end of the wire to MS (master) and the one on the middle of the wire to SL (slave) then both will work

If there is only 1 cdrom in the pc make sure the jumpers are set to MS (master) its a little connector on the end of the cdrom near the cables

110w is the power output, that will be fine , minimum CPU is 230Mhz and 64Mb ram for XP

Edited by Dave26, 02 May 2008 - 02:06 PM.

#7 2008-chick

2008-chick

Forum Loyalist

• 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

i broke msn again, its gone, i fixed it and then my contacts went away.. i tried to add them again

I dont understahnd a word of what u typedup there

#8 Dave

Dave

Zero Tolerance

• Root Admin
  • 12527 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

I`ll email you ok

#9 2008-chick

2008-chick

Forum Loyalist

• 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

ok, can any1 else help me with this, i am still stuck!!

#10 2008-chick

2008-chick

Forum Loyalist

• 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

im still struggling to find what the problem is here, also can any1 tel me if i can install xp on a windows 2000 pc with a processor 110w?? please help!!

#11 davehc

davehc

Hardcore Nerd

• Banned
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:40 PM

Maybe this picture will help[attachment=1496:jumper.JPG]

#12 2008-chick

2008-chick

Forum Loyalist

• 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

thanks dave, im not a pc genius! thats a load of dots n numbers! how do i find the 3.5 or 2.5 bits n stuff.. how come when i put the cd drive in my neighbours pc it works.. the disc spins but wheennu click on my computer there is no disk drive there..

#13 davehc

davehc

Hardcore Nerd

• Banned
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:17 AM

If you look at the back end of your cd/dvd, that is the picture you will see. Then just follow along with dave26's instructions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users