Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums

Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of TheHotfix.net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

motherboard change how to boot cloned drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rockman123

rockman123

Complete Newbie

• 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

have a msi board with an oem mce2005 sp2 installed. have cloned the hard drive with acronis- have bought new asus m3a32 deluxe motherboard 5000+ black edition athalon processor and the problem of course is the clone will not boot almost for sure- will need to do a repair install to clean the hardware configuration and then perhaps the drive will boot.my problem is i only have the 5 cd's recovery disk i was allowed to burn. i have read that simply using xp pro will not work setup ini file in the 1386 folder does not match and install or repair install will hang on the serial number. i was hoping someone had encountered this same problem and could offer a solution. as it stands i think i need to either nlite my 5 cds to try and create a bootable iso, cant find a working guide to do this only a vista solution, or find a 2005mce and change the pid number to match my oem and us my valid key, anyway if somebody has chanced upon a working solution would much appreciate the input.

#2 Rat boy

Rat boy

PEBKAC

• Banned
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

I know this is old, and probably resolved for you fella, but would appreciate info myself, after going through the same pain...

Apparently, if you go into device manager, change the IDE/ATAPI driver for 'let me choose from a list', and install basic driver, then switch off, and install hd in new setup it works...(but not for me!)

OR there is a reg update on MS website, you have to paste/copy a long textfile then merge with the registry, but is not guaranteed to work (didn't try this version - very complicated)

OR what I did, was run Win CD, and do a repair install...that ISN'T using the console, but rather re-installing the OS over the top of the old system (talking XP Pro here), took ages to do, and OS was sp3 before, and sp2 afterwards(!)..

And then needed to install motherboard drivers..working..but not 100% still..because there are problems downloading latest updates, installer 3.1 dl's then just fails, but doesnt give a reason, the activex popup doesnt appear, but doing a manual genuine windows verification reports back that it is good (rockxp3 installed)...

Soo, anyone have a more straightforward way of swapping a hdisk into a new system, if only 1 hdisk available?

#3 geek3

geek3

Media Production, Video Editing and Design.

• Exclusive Member
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests: Video Editing

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

also depending on how diffrent the hardware is it might not boot. you make have to insert windows cd go though stuff I think it is Enter>F8>> then at harddrive menu do a repair of the install.

#4 minchia

minchia

Hardcore Nerd

• 233 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

Ya know, I've never had any success of a clone drive after mobo swap. It is suppose to work (theoretically), but I've never had any luck... If anyone has any fail proof steps for this, it would be great! I am looking to get a new mobo soon, and would like to keep my Server 08 set up and configured as is, but may perhaps clone it to a larger drive as well... Just don't want the hassle of a reinstall, followed by the tedious setup!!!

#5 rockman123

rockman123

Complete Newbie

• 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

have a msi board with an oem mce2005 sp2 installed. have cloned the hard drive with acronis- have bought new asus m3a32 deluxe motherboard 5000+ black edition athalon processor and the problem of course is the clone will not boot almost for sure- will need to do a repair install to clean the hardware configuration and then perhaps the drive will boot.my problem is i only have the 5 cd's recovery disk i was allowed to burn. i have read that simply using xp pro will not work setup ini file in the 1386 folder does not match and install or repair install will hang on the serial number. i was hoping someone had encountered this same problem and could offer a solution. as it stands i think i need to either nlite my 5 cds to try and create a bootable iso, cant find a working guide to do this only a vista solution, or find a 2005mce and change the pid number to match my oem and us my valid key, anyway if somebody has chanced upon a working solution would much appreciate the input.

old thread i started when i accidentally grabbed the wrong hard drive to tryout just returned rma'ed asus board.got stuck in a loop but i did learn you have one opportunity to boot into safe mode and maybe fix internet connection, i screwed up and did something else first and when i went back total lock freeze. nothing finally took the recovery disk and reinstalled and called india and told the guy i lost my board and got reactivated in a moment.now i'm stuck with an 10.4 tiger running on pear pc emulator and i've tried everything and all the tutorials- cant get it recognize the tap 32 lan connections. thanks for the replies- but about the clone i never got it to work without reactivation- but i was able to get the system up enough to call in. i have the original ide mce 2005 thats been reactivated three times, moving it to different boards and configurations and to different size sata drives. i use it for this kind of stuff running emulators and vms, i'll keep looking and maybe find what i'm doing wrong with the mac,pretty cool but nothings any good if you can't connect to the internet.

#6 Scott

Scott

Lost

• Ultimate Sponsor
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

it should work as long as the processor and the mobo chipsets are in the same family
ex via chipset to another via chipset

#7 James

James

Computer Zombie

• VIP
  • 1529 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:07 AM

like nightx said, if the chipsets are in the same family it generally works. Doing a repair install has, in my experience, always fixed the problem. After doing a repair install updates, quite often, don't work but that is easily fixed. You may notice some other little problems with a repair. It's always best to keep a backup and reload.

#8 geek3

geek3

Media Production, Video Editing and Design.

• Exclusive Member
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests: Video Editing

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

also with repair if you do that then install a new pci card windows will require you to reactivate.

#9 mal

mal

Peruser

• Exclusive Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

Try this" http://episteme.arst...74/m/1400925745
Worked for me. :D

#10 higgielk

higgielk

Hardcore Nerd

• 112 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:03 AM

Cloning with Acronis worked well for me to install a larger hard drive in a system. I've had little luck swapping mobo's with it. I've heard its because M$ uses the Mac address of the onboard lan card to verify the Windows install.

You can try the info on the link that Mal suggested, but you will probably still have to reactivate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users