Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums

Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of TheHotfix.net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problems with xp restarting with no warning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 2008-chick

2008-chick

Forum Loyalist

• 56 posts
  • Interests: pc's at the moment, im learning a lot of new ways to do things.<br />but main interests my kids and my man

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hi again everyone,
does anybody elses pc restart with no warning every so often?
the processor fan has been cleaned but
it still keeps doing it, just restarting the whole pc and i lose everything.
can any1 help me?

#2 dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Forum Loyalist

• 58 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

It could be a lot of things from psu going bad. Low memory. Bad memory. Weird drivers. Virus.
Need more details

#3 Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan

Complete Newbie

• 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

go to "My Computer" right click and hit properties. On the Advanced tab select Settings in the "Startup and Recovery" box. Is "Automatically Restart" checked if so uncheck it. after changing that does it still restart without warning or does it give a stop error (BSOD) also google the stop error and see what others have found out about it. note what you are doing at the time of each failure, did you just plug in a usb device or maybe it's that that new game In my experience if this doesn't produce a stop error, it probably a motherboard, graphics card, power supply hardware or related driver failure so first try reinstalling those drivers first.

#4 2008-chick

2008-chick

Forum Loyalist

• 56 posts
  • Interests: pc's at the moment, im learning a lot of new ways to do things.<br />but main interests my kids and my man

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

Im so glad someone knows what to do! The box was checked, so i'll see how it gets on with things now, does that mean that when i click on restart computer...from the start menu it wont restart, i have to totally shut down pc and turn off and back on?
Thanks for your help.
sophia

>

go to "My Computer" right click and hit properties. On the Advanced tab select Settings in the "Startup and Recovery" box. Is "Automatically Restart" checked if so uncheck it. after changing that does it still restart without warning or does it give a stop error (BSOD) also google the stop error and see what others have found out about it. note what you are doing at the time of each failure, did you just plug in a usb device or maybe it's that that new game In my experience if this doesn't produce a stop error, it probably a motherboard, graphics card, power supply hardware or related driver failure so first try reinstalling those drivers first.

#5 James

James

Computer Zombie

• VIP
  • 1529 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

No it will restart normally when you tell it too, but if you get a STOP error instead of restarting it will show you the error and you can tell us what that is and we can help you further :)

#6 2008-chick

2008-chick

Forum Loyalist

• 56 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

Great stuff thank you everyone

:thumbsup2:

No it will restart normally when you tell it too, but if you get a STOP error instead of restarting it will show you the error and you can tell us what that is and we can help you further :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users