Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums

Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of TheHotfix.net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting data back after reinstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SonnyBurnett

SonnyBurnett

Peruser

• Exclusive Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

Ok heres my problem.Im working on my bosses pc and im not sure if they reformatted the hard drive first before they reinstalled XPProfessional.I want to try to recover any files that were on it before the reinstall is that possible to do?I thank you for any help given.

#2 Scott1963

Scott1963

Overclocker Extreme!

• Super Moderator
  • 452 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

if they reformatted you cant get the files back if they didnt reformat and just installed windows open the drive up and look it may have made a folder on the drive called windows old or something like that

#3 Dave

Dave

Zero Tolerance

• Root Admin
  • 12605 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

#4 Sabertooth

Sabertooth

TheHotfix Addicted

• Exclusive Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

if they reformatted you cant get the files back if they didnt reformat and just installed windows open the drive up and look it may have made a folder on the drive called windows old or something like that

Er .... you can recover data after a hard disk is reformated, people have been doing this for years ...... :w00t:

In the past I have used GetDataBack with success. Ontrack is also another name that you hear very often with this type of exercise.

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

http://www.pcinspect....htm?language=1

http://www.hddrecove...ads/200ways.pdf

Pls note: It is VERY CRUCIAL that you avoid performing any action that writes to the reformated hard disk until you've recovered the necessary data back, this is because the more the disk is actively used the lesser your chances at attaining maximum recovery.

#5 disaksen

disaksen

Leecher

• 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

It is VERY CRUCIAL that you avoid performing any action that writes to the reformated hard disk until you've recovered the necessary data back, this is because the more the disk is actively used the lesser your chances at attaining maximum recovery.

DON'T boot to the hard drive you're trying to recover the data from. It's best to unplug that HDD, set it up as a slave drive, then if you have another computer availible, plug the HDD into that unit as a slave drive. Be sure you install the program you're going to use for data recovery on a drive other than the one you want to recovery the data from. Also be sure that the folders you save the recovered data (good and bad) into are on a drive other than the one you're trying to recover the data from. As explained by Sabertooth, every time you write anything to the drive you're trying to recover data from, You're going to most likely be destroying some of the data you want to recover. Getdataback is one of the programs I use for data, and it does a pretty good job. There may be other programs that are eaier to work with, but I've had great success with it.

Bood luck

It is VERY CRUCIAL that you avoid performing any action that writes to the reformated hard disk until you've recovered the necessary data back, this is because the more the disk is actively used the lesser your chances at attaining maximum recovery.

DON'T boot to the hard drive you're trying to recover the data from. It's best to unplug that HDD, set it up as a slave drive, then if you have another computer availible, plug the HDD into that unit as a slave drive. Be sure you install the program you're going to use for data recovery on a drive other than the one you want to recovery the data from. Also be sure that the folders you save the recovered data (good and bad) into are on a drive other than the one you're trying to recover the data from. As explained by Sabertooth, every time you write anything to the drive you're trying to recover data from, You're going to most likely be destroying some of the data you want to recover. Getdataback is one of the programs I use for data recovery, and it does a pretty good job. There may be other programs that are eaier to work with, but I've had great success with it.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users