Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums

Welcome to TheHotfix.net Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of TheHotfix.net Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Alternative to a Win XP CD/DVD? (YES!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UZI

UZI

Complete Newbie

• 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

Some Might have Guesed How , But for Those Who are Wondering H O W !?It was Really Fast and Easy... I grabbed My Win Xp Pro .iso (per se) :aggressive: What I did was Loaded my XP with Sp2 and Updated Setups: Firefox,Java etc and I put it all on a "Generic" USB Mini Flash Drive. Just like you would on a CD except I did this on a USB Mini Flash Card. Withing 35 Minutes I went from Nothing to a Newely Installed Copy of WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL- It doesnt requore ANY drivers for the Flash card(s) and I used a 1gb. I figure I would pass this idea along as its very handy to have on your keychain...etc When my Windows was installed I had NO Issues and I was online in minutes with the wireless internet. Just in case SOME are wondering, Yes This applies to Laptops and regular home computers. I also kept my serial in a text file in a folder and other keys/info that had to be customized after.. I remember my serial # by heart but having a copy in your wallet helps as you CANT retrieve it when your Key is on the same USB Flash as your XP is loading from... I will be loading as many hotfixes as possible and labeling some more for this instance... I havent tried this with VISTA, but I Despise Vista and thats just my preference.... Have a great day everyone!-UZIJust a SIMPLE reminder... I also Updated my Win XP with the Drivers for the Hardware I had. Sometimes people overlook something like this... In my case it was my Video card,Wireless Card, and other Misc. Internal and External Items. The Great thing about the FLASH is that you can be ANYWHERE and add/update your Win XP w/out the need of a dvd/cd writer.. Friends Home,Libraray (Sometimes)College etc.. You have the Idea.. Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas... Maybe I left something out or perhaps you though of something...-UZI

#2 Bugsy

Bugsy

Leecher

• 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:29 AM

Some Might have Guesed How , But for Those Who are Wondering H O W !?It was Really Fast and Easy... I grabbed My Win Xp Pro .iso (per se) :aggressive: What I did was Loaded my XP with Sp2 and Updated Setups: Firefox,Java etc and I put it all on a "Generic" USB Mini Flash Drive. Just like you would on a CD except I did this on a USB Mini Flash Card. Withing 35 Minutes I went from Nothing to a Newely Installed Copy of WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL- It doesnt requore ANY drivers for the Flash card(s) and I used a 1gb. I figure I would pass this idea along as its very handy to have on your keychain...etc When my Windows was installed I had NO Issues and I was online in minutes with the wireless internet. Just in case SOME are wondering, Yes This applies to Laptops and regular home computers. I also kept my serial in a text file in a folder and other keys/info that had to be customized after.. I remember my serial # by heart but having a copy in your wallet helps as you CANT retrieve it when your Key is on the same USB Flash as your XP is loading from... I will be loading as many hotfixes as possible and labeling some more for this instance... I havent tried this with VISTA, but I Despise Vista and thats just my preference.... Have a great day everyone!-UZIJust a SIMPLE reminder... I also Updated my Win XP with the Drivers for the Hardware I had. Sometimes people overlook something like this... In my case it was my Video card,Wireless Card, and other Misc. Internal and External Items. The Great thing about the FLASH is that you can be ANYWHERE and add/update your Win XP w/out the need of a dvd/cd writer.. Friends Home,Libraray (Sometimes)College etc.. You have the Idea.. Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas... Maybe I left something out or perhaps you though of something...-UZI

I use Acronis TrueImage and I have my PC re-installed in about 4 minutes (and the serial is already in)...

#3 cougar62

cougar62

Hardcore Nerd

• 240 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

well i am not familiar with acronis trueimage so maybe you could inform me a little on this? i reinstall about once every couple months so this would be nice to have.

#4 MissingNo

MissingNo

Peruser

• 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

well i am not familiar with acronis trueimage so maybe you could inform me a little on this? i reinstall about once every couple months so this would be nice to have.

Acronis TrueImage is a hard drive imaging/cloning program. It creates an image file - much like an ISO file - of your entire machine and settings, programs, files, and so on. Another program (that I personally use) is Norton Ghost.

When I get a new computer, I clean-install it (with retail media or otherwise to avoid bloat from the trialware), install and activate programs I use (like Office), and then Ghost the drive and burn the resulting .GHO file to a CD/DVD (or span it across DVDs now for Vista), along with the imaging application (I have my images bundled with a bootable floppy image on the disc with CD drivers, along with Ghost on the CD itself).

I placed just a standard Windows 98 SE floppy image (that I got from bootdisk.com) as my boot image on my CD. In the CD itself, I place in a folder called "GHOST" the executable (GHOST.EXE), and the image (MMDDYY_OS.GHO - I date my Ghost images and then place the OS name in it, for example "010307_HOMEPRE.GHO" or "06062006_2KPRO.GHO"), along with some basic utilities, like Partition Magic or fdisk with large disk support.

Then I just start up, and issue my commands...
R:
CD GHOST
CMOUSE.EXE
GHOST.EXE

My 2000 install on my ancient PC can be restored in 5 minutes with my utilities. I'm planning on working on an automated backup option - the only prompt is "Are you sure?", and that's at the beginning while it's booting up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users